Wednesday 7 May 2008

Final Post

I am 23 years old male and a first year psychology student. Even though this module wasn’t influenced by Psychology specifically, I found PH1000 Being Bad very suitable, inspiring and in a sense of people’s attitudes and behaviours, linked to my core subject. I don’t think that it was too demanding apart of the fact that, we could only add one post per day on the blog. That troubled me a bit but it’s completely understandable due to the assessment and marking reasons. Moreover, I feel that the blogs were a great way to interpret what we learned through the module and apply a critical academic approach while taking into account other students’ approaches as well. In addition I also feel that, the list of topics covered on the module was critically suitable concerning our times, the modern way of life and way of thinking. In contrast, I would like also to see more arguments on topics which are currently considered to be good and embraceable but actually are bad and corrupting. With the appropriate academic approach many issues such as religions, recycling, globalization, economy, charity organisations, governments, banking institutions and other social parties can be argued and put their name “on the test”. On the other hand, I believe the format of classes was very well organised but there were some students that didn’t take the module seriously in any point; when in some cases they ruined the whole module team’s efforts. More discussions and debates among the class as a whole I think could have caused a better concern on the module’s topics instead of the “day’s gossips”. I really enjoyed the small group discussions. Even though I am not the talkative and social kind of guy and I prefer a more quite examining attitude due discussions; I came across with very interesting and sophisticated people and getting the chance to meet and argue with them, it helped me to think outside the box, change some of my views and evaluate or evolve some others. I find interdisciplinary modules very appropriate and inspiring on the academic level and surely I would like to see more modules covering this kind of matters both in the academic and the higher education. I would definitely take the follow-up module at level 2 if I could and I would absolutely recommend Being Bad to friends as well as enemies. Finally, I found all lectures extremely useful in various ways, (academic and personal) and I didn’t identify any as a waste of time. It was surely a good trip to what means to “being bad”.

1 comment:

Kimberley said...

Hello =-)
I agree with the suggestions you made for future topics for Being Bad.
It was very nice to meet you and i wish you luck with your studies.
Have a great summer
Kimberley xX