Monday 7 April 2008

Body modification

I found the lecture on body modification most thrilling and inspiring to discuss. I am Christian Orthodox and a member of the Greek-Cypriot society of the small island of Cyprus. I have spent the last 22 years of my life there and actually things do seem a little better than what they used to be. In the past (5-10 years ago), church and the other social norms were so narrow-minded that anyone with tattoos, earrings or other extreme body modifications, especially men, didn’t consider as respectful members of the society. In addition, No educated, intelligent, moral and seriously proper man could have long or excessive facial hair or other changes on his appearance such as extreme hair dyes or styles; and things were not exactly better for women either. It was in fact rather simple; according to the society’s standards, any unusual or extreme body modification was a violation of the body, soul and God. I personally struggled as a teenager through high school’s rules that wanted me to get rid of my earrings, rings or other jewellery except of curse of the Christian cross… I wasn’t allowed to have long or extreme hair styles, dye my hair or have any kind of noticeable facial hair and outside the school, most likely I wouldn’t be considered as welcome in most places. Anyone who was tatted was also stigmatised as an outlaw and a hoodlum. Fortunately societies now are shifting and people are adopting and modernised by exploring culture by culture all the beauties of our World and Nature. Nowadays we witness body modification in its greatest. Tattoos, piercing and other types of body modifications (body building, dieting, plastic surgery, scarification, female& male circumcisions and more) are now very well known to all humankind and all are overwhelming our daily lives. There are some who even modify their eye balls with tiny pieces of jewellery (called Jewel Eye) these days and who knows what other surprises the future saves for us. With nanotechnology and Cyborgs’ technology I can’t wait to see what other exciting eras we will manage to experience.

No comments: